Security Information and Event Management (SIEM)
Real-time security monitoring with flexible service levelsTalk to an expert
Security Information and Event Management (SIEM) is a log management tool which collects, stores and searches through logs to track activity within your organisation. It then studies this data to establish whether there is any abnormal behaviour occurring within the network and alerts your security team based on pre-set analytics. SIEM combines both security information management (SIM) and security event management (SEM) into a single, central system which is easier to analyse. Many organisations use SIEM to streamline the manual processes involved in the detection of threats and speeds up the efficiency of your security system through automatic reporting and response.
What does SIEM do?
SIEM has successfully evolved through AI to become a sophisticated and efficient solution for threat detection and incident response. The main roles of a SIEM include detecting suspicious user activity, monitoring user behaviour, limiting access attempts and generating compliance reports, all which are necessary for threat hunting security teams. The solution provides a central view of potential attackers, with real-time threat detection.
Why do you need SIEM?
SIEM is a vital tool for your organisation because it provides visibility into users’ activity throughout your infrastructure. As a result, there is greater transparency in monitoring users, applications, and devices, which is all valuable information for the running of your company. For example, it may be beneficial for monitoring long terms trends within the organisation, which can be used for company financial and growth projections. Most importantly, it is used to identify cyber attacks by feeding dashboards that help security analysts to spot spikes or trends in activity which may be suspicious.
Implementing a SIEM solution completes the ‘SOC triad’ (Network Detection and Response (NDR), Endpoint Detection and Response (EDR), and Security Information and Event Management (SIEM)) which is vital for an entirely protected network environment. The triad provides security teams with the tools they need to be proactive when protecting the organisation.
The solution employs advanced threat intelligence to detect unknown threats or ones IT security teams may be unable to find manually. Therefore, it takes the current level of expertise higher, which is important in the constantly evolving cyber threat landscape. Modern solutions need to be fast and flexible, both of which SIEM can achieve.
It also provides compliance for regulations such as HIPAA, PCI, SOX, and GDPR. These are important to retain brand legitimacy. Advancing further, it assures regulatory compliance auditing and reporting which are increasingly important.
Accumulatively, this gives your security team the knowledge and capability to ensure a quick and effective response in the instance of any suspicious activity within the network.
Managed security monitoring
Improving security and delivering business outcomes
Effective security information and event management (SIEM) is vital for every business, allowing them to improve their security posture and deliver on key business objectives.
But managing a SIEM tool can be resource heavy, leading to many businesses struggling to keep up with the skills needed to make the right decisions.
This is where our managed security monitoring service, with tailored support options, can take away the pain and let you concentrate on what matters most – your customers.
Compliance auditing and reporting
Audit and report compliance with industry regulations and guidance including GDPR and PCI-DSS.
Internal and external threat visibility
See external and insider threats across the workforce and supply chain.
Clear security posture reporting
Gain reportable assessments of your security posture to support cyber strategies.
Contact us today to discuss your needs
Security compliance, visibility of threats, and posture reporting all depend on real-time security monitoring – and that only comes when structure is applied to your IT and security logs. However, a combination of increased cyberthreats, the security skills gap, and the level of management a SIEM tool requires often results in companies making the difficult decision to de-prioritise their security monitoring projects. Yet, with the right partner to efficiently manage your log ingestion all companies can enjoy the benefits of a SIEM at accessible price.
We combine the best SIEM technology with people-centric persistence to deliver key business outcomes, through two flexible service options:
This service is ideal for organisations that want to manage their own SIEM solution, but with the confidence that they have a team of experts available to help with setup and ongoing support. Working with you, we will:
- We will setup your SIEM instance.
- We will setup Log ingestion, a process to forward messages to the SIEM instance, ensuring that the forwarded messages are correctly tagged with the information need to analyse Threats.
- We will configure Rules and platform logic to create Signals, a collection of alerts, identified through pattern and threat intelligence matching from the logs being ingested.
- We will setup actionable Insights, a collection of enriched user and network contextual information to help prioritise and focus on the threats that matter the most when investigating incidents.
- We will configure dashboards and metrics, ensuring that you focus on the essential information.
- We will configure and integrate alerting with your email, ticketing system and messaging systems.
- Once configured, we will hand over your SIEM solution and provide ongoing support.
Everything you get with Supported as a Managed Service, plus:
- Review and prioritisation of actionable insights, investigating details to determine the type and severity of a threat to determine the action that needs to be taken.
- Management of rules to ensure your SIEM solution setup is tailored to your organisation.
- Incident response tailored to your organisation.
- Daily checks to review log ingestion, signal generation and actionable insights, ensuring your SIEM instance is configured and functioning correctly.
- Weekly in-depth reviews and fine tuning of your SIEM instance to improve your security posture.
- Monthly usage to appraise how logs are being ingested, ensuring the most efficient use of your instance.
- A monthly summarised report comprising of data volume, signal categories, actionable insights, and incidents seen in the previous month with advice where applicable to pre-empt potential areas of compromise or attacks, and any new feature or enhancement that has been made available during that period.
|SIEM instance setup
|Log ingestion setup
|Actionable insight setup
|Daily and weekly checks